Manaslu Region (between Jagat and Dharapani) has been declared a restricted area by Nepal Government for a while now. The primary reason is to control tourism and keep track of incoming and outgoing travelers.
Independent trekkers are not allowed in Manaslu, so it is mandatory to obtain a special entry permit through a registered agency in Nepal. According to current government policy, a minimum of two trekkers accompanied by a local guide is required.
Since your permit is subject to being processed through a registered agency like MCT, freelance guides cannot issue permits for the Manaslu Region.
Special Restricted Manaslu Trekking Permit (Manaslu RAP)
While traveling to Sama Gaun, travelers need a special permit called Special Restricted Area Permit (RAP). The price for Manaslu RAP depends on the number of days that you spend between Jagat and Dharapani. However, once you cross the Sama Gaun (village), you will need another entry permit, the Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP Permit) which we will discuss later.
The cost of a Special Restricted Area Manaslu Trekking Permit for (Manaslu RAP):
- September to November: USD 100 per person for the first week and an additional USD 15 from the eighth day and onward per person.
- December to August: USD 70 per person for the first week and an additional USD 15 from the eighth day and onward per person.
Requirement for Manaslu Trekking Permit:
- A passport-sized photograph (Digital)
Manaslu Conservation Area Project Permit (MCAP Permit)
Required from Philim, starting point of Manaslu Conservation Area, there is no change in price related to the number of days that you spend inside the area.
The cost for Manaslu Conservation Area Project Permit (MCAP Permit) is USD 30 per person. The price is constant throughout the year.
- A passport-sized photograph (Printed)
Annapurna Conservation Area Project Permit (ACAP Permit)
The ACAP Permit is required from Dharapani until you exit ACAP through Beshi Sahar. There is no change in price related to the number of days that you spend inside the area.
The cost for Annapurna Conservation Area Project Permit (ACAP Permit) is USD 30 per person. Similar to MCAP, the price is constant throughout the year.
Once you obtain these three permits i.e. RAP, MCAP Permit, and ACAP Permit, you are good to go. However, travelers are only required to obtain a TIMS (Trekkers Information Management System) Card in case they enter an area that does not requires a RAP.
About TIMS Card
All trekkers in Nepal must obtain the Trekkers’ Information Management Systems (TIMS) Card before trekking. TIMS Card is mandatory (unless you obtain a RAP permit) to ensure the safety of the trekker.
Trekkers’ Information Management System (TIMS) came into effect on Jan 1st, 2008. It has been implemented in coordination with the Nepal Tourism Board (NTB) and the Trekking Agencies Association of Nepal (TAAN) to ensure the safety of trekkers and to control operations that are not legal.
Manaslu Region Trekking List:
Manaslu Trekking Permit In Nepal – Frequently Asked Questions
What is a trekking permit?
A trekking permit in Nepal acts as a pass to different restricted regions in Nepal. It is important to keep track of the trekker’s information. Trekking permits are issued in Nepal by:
1. Department of Immigration (Example: RAP Permit)
2. National Trust For Nature Conservation (Example: MCAP and ACAP Permits)
Where do I obtain the Manaslu trekking permits?
Individual trekkers cannot issue a permit for Manaslu. Only registered agencies are allowed to do so. Therefore, your agency will carry out the necessary procedure in order to receive a permit.
Do I need a TIMS Card for Manaslu region treks?
No, you don’t. TIMS Card is not necessary for trekkers who have obtained a special RAP permit.
How much does it cost for Manaslu Trekking Permit?
Manaslu Conservation Area Project Permit costs USD 30 per person unless you are a member of SAARC country. In addition, the permit prices vary depending on the number of days you spend between Jagat and Sama Gaun. However, Special RAP Manaslu will cost you USD 100 per person.
What is the requirement for the Manaslu trekking permit?
The requirement for a trekking permit in Nepal is as follows:
1. Two passport-sized photos (For MCAP and ACAP)
2. A scanned photo (For Manaslu RAP)
3. Original Passport
4. VISA Documents
How long does it take to issue the Manaslu trekking permit?
About an hour and a half, depending upon the stability of the online system. However, it could take a few hours if done manually.
Can a single trekker obtain a Manaslu Trekking permit?
No, a single trekker cannot obtain a Manaslu Trekking permit. However, there is a practice of “Ghost permit” for single trekkers. Basically, we issue two permits, one for a non-trekker and one for an active trekker.
Can a Manaslu Trek permit be issued on a public holiday?
No, the Department of Immigration is closed on Saturdays and other public holidays. Therefore, we issue the permit in advance when a long public holiday is approaching.
Can Manaslu Trek permits be issued in advance before we arrive in Nepal?
In general, the Department of Immigration needs to verify the details including the original passport and visa details. So, we cannot issue special RAP permits in advance.
Note: The Department of Immigration only provides special RAP permits.
However, if you wish to issue a Conservation Area Project Permit such as MCAP and ACAP, it is possible to issue a permit after you provide us with the required details.
The Background Process For Issuing Manaslu restricted area permit:
MCT has been known for quality trekking and touring activities in Nepal. Being one of the top trekking agencies, we believe in total transparency and this is how we issue a Manaslu restricted area permit for you, read on!
Total Time: 2 days
Fill out the online application form
Fill up the online application form : (http://online.nepalimmigration.gov.np/trekking-permit)
Go to the Department of Immigration office with the required documents
Collect the required documents and visit the Department of the Immigration office.
Go to Nepal Tourism Board to issue MCAP and ACAP permits
After the immigration office then move toward the Nepal Tourism Board to issue permits card.
Estimated Cost: 100 USD
MCT has been known for quality trekking and touring activities in Nepal. Being one of the top trekking agencies, we believe in total transparency and this is how we issue a Manaslu trekking permit for you, read on!
STEP 1: Fill out the online application form
- Fill up the online application form : (http://online.nepalimmigration.gov.np/trekking-permit)
- Fill up separate online applications for MCAP and ACAP.
- Send the application to the Director General, Department of Immigration.
- Provide the printed itinerary with trekking dates.
- Provide a photocopy of your passport and visa (each).
- Arrange US Dollars and write the serial number and denomination of each note on the agent’s letterhead.
Step 2: Go to the Department of Immigration office with the following documents
- Head over to the Department of Immigration in Anamnagar.
- Submit the US Dollars along with the letter containing the serial numbers to the Global IME Bank counter (inside Immigration Department) and collect the deposit slip.
- Verify the official document. Make sure to carry the agency’s up-to-date guide insurance, tax clearance, and valid authority certificate from the central bank.
- An officer will verify the details of trekkers submitted online with the passport and then print a new slip.
- A second officer will again verify the details and forward the file to the Head of Immigration.
- The Head of Immigration (Director General) will make the final verification and issue his signature.
- Now print each individual permit and put it on the stickers.
- The second officer will now sign the stickers.
- Again, present it to the first officer and s/he will put the final stamp to the sticker and the Manaslu permits are ready.
Now, we only need to issue permits for MCAP and ACAP.
Step 3: Go to Nepal Tourism Board to issue MCAP and ACAP permits:
- Drive to Nepal Tourism Board (https://www.welcomenepal.com/)
- Pay the permit fee in local currency
- Submit the printed online application form
- The officials will print the permit and place your printed photograph
- They will sign the form and DONE, you are ready to go!
Do not get overwhelmed since we as a trekking agency will handle these for you.
MCT is keen on developing customer relations along with top-notch quality services to travelers from all around the world. Our travel experts with well over a decade of experience in tourism will be more than glad to help you. Book a trip to Manaslu in Nepal at an affordable price with MCT to explore the wonders of Nepal.